It’s 1554, the Florentine troupes are drawn up in great numbers at the foot of the hill of Monteriggioni ready to fire their cannons. The shots destroy a well leaving the village with little water.
Frantic hours follow. Captain Zeti must decide whether to continue the fight or surrender. His decision will change the history of Tuscany and his own afterlife.
Monteriggioni is a medieval walled town, located on a natural hillock, in the Siena Province of Tuscany – built by the Sienese in 1213 as a front line in their wars against Florence by assuming command of the Cassia Road running through the Val d’Elsa and Val Staggia to the west.
Monteriggioni’s walls and the buildings that make up the town within are the best preserved example of their kind in all of Italy, attracting tourists, architects, medieval historians and archaeologists.
The roughly circular walls, totaling a length of about 570 meters and following the natural contours of the hill, were built between 1213 and 1219.
The Tuscan poet Dante Alighieri used the turrets of Monterrigioni to evoke the sight of the ring of giants encircling the Infernal abyss.